The intention for this project was to create an addition that would complement the existing residence, and function as a separate living zone.
With the brief for an extension that allows for comfortable and safe ageing in place, adaptable design and improvements in access was essential to the client. Second to access, storage was key, with a large shed and carport constructed on the north west of the block for additional storage.
Connection to the surrounding natural environment was also important to the client, with the new bedroom facing a pleasing outlook to the neighbouring reserve. The external material use of dark shadowclad façade politely compliments the existing red brick house yet still expressing distinction between old and new. The addition of a modest timber ramp invites guests to be drawn to the new entry as the bright orange door becomes the focal point.
These project objectives shaped the built form and were achieved by clever planning in response to access, plenty of storage, privacy and comfort.
- 1112m2 relatively flat site with orientation of north to the street
- House floor area increased from 98m2 to 164m2
- Extension: 1 bedroom, 1 living area, 1 bathroom (floor area 66m2)
- New garage/storage shed and carport to rear of site
- Raked ceiling to the new living area
- Customised joinery including kitchen storage, study desk, shelves and window seat
- Floor finishes include; linoleum, tiles and carpet
- Tailored to the site and designed to our client’s brief and budget
- EER of 8 stars (predicted annual energy use 53% lower than for a standard 6 star design)
- High levels of insulation in walls (R2.5) + ceilings (R5)
- Burnished concrete flooring with R1 insulation to slab edge + underside
- Thermal mass of slab used to regulate internal temperatures
- Vapour permeable building wrap to control moisture and reduce air movement past insulation
- Testing to ensure building envelope integrity: thermographic inspection of insulation and fan depressurisation to ensure airtightness
- Efficient, split-system air conditioning to satisfy minimal heating/cooling requirements
- PVC double-glazed, tilt + turn windows
- 5,000 litre water tank